This weekend’s Nebraska at Wisconsin volleyball series has been postponed due to health and safety concerns related to COVID-19. The top-ranked Badgers yesterday announced a two-week pause in all team activities because of multiple COVID-19 cases within the program. The 4th ranked Huskers are scheduled to play at Illinois next week.
The Nebraska men’s basketball team lost at 5th ranked Illinois last night, 86-70. It’s the fifth straight loss for the Husker men. They host Minnesota tomorrow night at 6:00. The Gophers, who are 0-8 away from home, topped the Huskers in their first meeting in Minneapolis, 79-61.
The 13th ranked Creighton Bluejays travel to Cincinnati, Ohio tomorrow for a game against Xavier. The Jays topped the Musketeers earlier this season in Omaha. Tipoff is tomorrow afternoon at 4:00.
The Creighton women’s basketball team was blasted by top-ranked U-Conn last night in Omaha, 81-49. The Lady Jays will close out the regular season tomorrow, hosting St. Johns at 1:00.
The Nebraska women’s basketball team’s final home game of the regular season is tomorrow, they’ll host Michigan State. The Huskers topped the Spartans earlier this season in East Lansing. Tipoff at Pinnacle Bank Arena is set for Saturday afternoon at 1:00.
The Nebraska softball team opens their season this weekend in Florida. The Huskers will play three doubleheaders in three days in the Sunshine State, facing Indiana twice today, Michigan State twice on Saturday and Ohio State twice on Sunday.
In Husker football related news;
– Plans are said to be in the works for a 2022 season opener in Ireland, perhaps against Northwestern.
– Running back Markese Stepp tops Athlon Sports’ list of newcomers to keep an eye out for in Lincoln this fall.
– Georgia center Steven Nahmias is on the Huskers’ recruiting wish list for 2022. The Huskers offered the 6-foot-3, 285-pounder a scholarship in April.
– 2022 Bellevue West tight end, Kaden Helms, has now earned a four-star rating in 247Sports’ latest update. The service lists him as the No. 3 player in the state behind offensive lineman Deshawn Woods (Omaha Central) and Devon Jackson (Omaha Burke) and the No. 12 tight end in the country. Helms also moved in Rivals’ latest update to the No. 19 tight end in the country. His high school teammate, tight end Micah Riley-Ducker, is a four-star prospect according to Rivals (No. 13 TE nationally) and a three-star via 247Sports (No. 19 TE).
– Players who have picked up recent scholarship offers from Nebraska: three-star defensive back Kylon Griffin (Montgomery, Alabama), three-star wide receiver Jarel Williams (Saraland, Alabama) and wide receiver C.J. Smith (Orlando).
The top ranked UNK wrestling team is in Grand Junction, Colorado this weekend for the NCAA Super Region VI Championships. To secure a spot at nationals this year a wrestler in Region VI has to win his weight class. Seven “Wild Cards” will then be selected at a coaches meeting for a total of 17 qualifiers. The national meet will be held in St. Louis, Missouri., March 12-13.
The UNK basketball teams are closing out the regular season in Missouri this weekend. The Loper men were crushed by top ranked Northwest Missouri State last night, 95-59. The nationally ranked Loper women edged the Bearcats, 53-50. The Lopers close out the regular season at Missouri Western State tomorrow afternoon. The MIAA Tourney begins next week.
In other Loper action:
– The UNK volleyball team continues their season opening 8-game road swing this weekend in Wichita, Kansas with matches against Central Oklahoma and Oklahoma Baptist.
– The UNK track and field team is in Topeka, Kansas this weekend for the MIAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.
– The UNK softball team is in Springfield, Missouri this weekend for the Drury Invitational.
The Tri-City Storm continue their eight game homestand against Fargo and Sioux City this weekend. The puck drop tomorrow night is at 7:05, and Sunday afternoon at 4:05.
High School Results & Schedules;
2021 State Swimming/Diving Championship Schedule @ Bob Devaney Sports Center
Boys Diving: 14th – Ben Knoell, Kearney High
9:00 a.m. Girls Swimming Prelims
2:00 p.m. Boys Swimming Prelims
9:00 a.m. Girls Swimming Finals
2:30 p.m. Boys Swimming Finals
Boys Basketball C1-11 Subdistrict @ Kearney Catholic
Thursday – #1 Kearney Catholic 59, #2 Cozad 27
Boys Basketball C1-9 Subdistrict @ Adams Central High School
Thursday – #1 Adams Central 63, #2 Gibbon 35
Boys Basketball C1-10 Subdistrict @ St Paul High School
Thursday – #1 St Paul 74, #2 Central City 71
Boys Basketball C2-7 Subdistrict @ Sutton High School
Thursday – #1 Sutton 60, #2 Hastings St. Cecilia 39
Boys Basketball C2-8 Subdistrict @ Grand Island Central Catholic
Thursday – #1 Grand Island Central Catholic 49, #3 Centennial 44
Boys Basketball C2-10 Subdistrict @ Amherst Public School
Thursday – #1 Amherst 74, #2 Cambridge 43
Boys Basketball D1-7 Subdistrict @ Kenesaw Public School
Thursday – #1 Kenesaw 41, #3 Blue Hill 33
Boys Basketball D1-9 Subdistrict @ Elm Creek High School
Thursday – #2 Southern Valley 56, #1 Elm Creek 40
Boys Basketball D1-10 Subdistrict @ Burwell High School
Thursday – #1 Burwell 63, #2 Ansley-Litchfield 61 OT
Boys Basketball D2-7 Subdistrict @ Giltner
Thursday – #1 Silver Lake 30, #3 Heartland Lutheran 28
Boys Basketball D2-8 Subdistrict @ Loomis
Thursday – #1 Loomis 56, #2 SEM 54
Boys Basketball A-3 District
Friday – #4 Omaha Bryan vs. #5 Omaha Northwest – @ Omaha Bryan
Saturday – #1 Creighton Prep vs. Bryan/Northwest Winner – 2:00 @ Creighton Prep
Saturday – #2 Kearney vs. #3 Elkhorn South – 5:30 @ Kearney High
Monday – District Final – 7:00 @ Highest Seed
Boys Basketball Class B District Finals
B-6 District @ Beatrice
Saturday – 2:00 Beatrice (#6) VS Aurora (#11)
B-7 District @ Elkhorn
Saturday – 3:00 Elkhorn (#7) VS Northwest (#10)
Girls Basketball District Finals
C1-2 District @ Crete
Friday – 6:00 Grand Island Central Catholic (#2) VS Louisville (#15)
C1-3 District @ Aurora
Friday – 7:30 Lincoln Lutheran (#3) VS Gothenburg (#14)
C1-4 District @ York
Friday – 6:00 Hastings St. Cecilia (#4) VS Bishop Neumann (#13)
C1-5 District @ Northwest
Friday – 7:00 Broken Bow (#5) VS Columbus Scotus (#12)
C1-6 District @ Hastings College
Friday – 7:00 Syracuse (#6) VS O’Neill (#11)
C1-8 District @ Kearney High
Friday – 6:00 Auburn (#8) VS Sidney (#9)
C2-2 District @ Wood River
Friday – 7:00 Wood River (#2) VS South Loup (Callaway/Arnold) (#15)
C2-4 District @ Aurora
Friday – 5:00 Lourdes Central Catholic (#4) VS Ravenna (#13)
D1-2 District @ North Platte Community College
Friday – 7:00 Pleasanton (#2) VS Dundy County Stratton (#15)
D1-7 District @ Brady
Friday – 5:00 South Platte (#7) VS Shelton (#10)
D2-2 District @ Diller-Odell
Friday – 7:00 Falls City Sacred Heart (#2) VS Lawrence-Nelson (#15)
D2-3 District @ Ord
Friday – 6:00 CWC (#3) VS Sumner-Eddyville-Miller (#14)
D2-4 District @ Brady
Friday – 7:15 Mullen (#4) VS Loomis (#13)
D2-7 District @ Minden
Friday – 6:00 Maywood-Hayes Center (#7) VS Diller-Odell (#10)
D2-8 District @ Kearney Catholic
Friday – 6:30 Sterling (#8) VS Wauneta-Palisade (#9)